How to Buy a Single Share of Stock as a Gift
From your Investing for Beginners Guide
One of the most common questions I get is "How do I purchase a single share of stock as a gift for a wedding/christening/birthday party/etc?" Here, you can learn how!
- Decide the company you want to buy stock in. Be sure to select something appropriate for the beneficiary of the gift. For instance, it would be a great idea to purchase Disney or Toys R Us stock for a newborn's birthday.
- Go to one of the web pages listed below.
- Browse the catalog for the stock you want to purchase. They both have a large inventory of corporations available.
- Once you have selected the stock you want, you will have to enter the Social Security Number of the person you are buying the gift for. This is so the stock certificate will be legally registered in their name.
- Select the kind of frame you want. This is optional.
- Enter an message for engraving underneath the certificate. This is optional.
- Decide whether you want to the stock to be shipped to you or directly to the beneficiary of the gift.
- Remember, if you can't find the shares you want at these sites, you can buy them through your brokerage account and have the certificates mailed to you. If you go this route, you can expect to wait up to 6 weeks.
What You Need:
More How To's from your Guide to Investing for Beginners